The Cardiology Department opened on 1 January 2013. Its activities focus on non-invasive assessment of the cardiovascular system – the Department performs foetal echocardiography, cardiac examination of infants, including premature babies, examinations of children and adolescents treated with anti-cancer drugs, and pregnant women. In 2013, the Department launched a Cardiology Clinic for Pregnant Women.
The Department conducts its scientific research based on the results of clinical trials. In addition to clinical topics, the Department's staff are interested primarily in pathomechanisms of cardiovascular complications in pregnancy, including hypertension in pregnancy.
Under internal grants and cooperation with other IMC units, the Department currently undertakes research into the following topics:
- The use of modern methods of non-invasive assessment of late cardiotoxicity of complex anti-cancer therapy of Ewing's sarcoma in children and adolescents.
- Evaluation of the microRNA profile in various forms of clinical dysfunctions or overloading of the left ventricle in pregnant women – a pilot study, co-operation with the Medical University of Warsaw.
- Markers of cardiac overload and myocardial fibrosis in pregnancy.
- Evaluation of pregnancies in patients diagnosed with suspected congenital heart defects in foetuses in a prenatal cardiac examination.
- Analysis of indications to perform echocardiography in newborns, especially in premature babies – based on own materials.
Projects financed by the National Science Centre (NCN):
- No. 2013/11/N/NZ5/03388 – microRNA associated with hypertrophy and fibrosis of the myocardium in the molecular mechanisms of response in the left ventricle to volume overload and pressure overload in pregnant women.
Project financed from other sources:
- Assessment of the impact of active prevention on cardiovascular risk in a population of 1,500 professionally active women aged 18–60 – under a preventive programme entitled ‘W trosce o serce' (For the sake of the heart) – Coordinated by the IMC Foundation; sponsor: the PZU Group.
|Head of Cardiology Department
Associate Professor Anna Fijałkowska MD, Ph.D.
22 32 77 284
Lipsk Building, 4th Floor, Room 403.